We all strive to be happier in our daily lives. However, sometimes the stress of day-to-day life can get you down. While there’s no “magic happiness bullet,” we’re all individuals after all, and there are some simple universal practices that many happy people share, and you can use them to boost your overall happiness, no matter where you are!
Here are some simple daily steps you can take to improve your mood:
- Drink Water – Believe it or not, this is probably the easiest way to improve your mood! Research has shown that starting your day with a big glass of water, then drinking another every hour throughout the day can boost your energy levels and give you a more positive outlook.
- Exercise – Exercise doesn’t just help you physically, it improves your mental well-being. Just 20-minutes, three times a week can provide incredible results. In fact, a single workout can immediately improve your mood! Whether it’s a brisk jog, a pilates class, yoga, or weight training, adding exercise to your daily or weekly routine will boost your mood!
- Meditate – Sitting mindfully daily has been shown to increase positivity. Meditation promotes satisfaction with your life and decreases the symptoms of depression. Daily practice helps you to release negativity, center in the present and lower stress levels.
- Get Proper Sleep – Another easy way to boost your mood! A full night’s rest gives your body time to rejuvenate and keeps your mind clear. In fact, studies have shown that 90% of people who consider themselves “perfectly happy” get an average of 7 hours, 6 minutes of sleep every night.
- Learn Something New – Learning new skills boosts happiness and self-esteem. Take a class, read a book, or listen to music, but experience something new every day and you’ll reap the emotional benefits.
- Share What You Know! – Teaching others is shown to boost happiness in 63% of adults. If you’ve ever taught someone a new concept and watched as they master it, you know the feeling!
We all have our own idea of what makes us happy. While there’s no “magic happiness bullet,” using practices like these, mindfully every day can have you well on your way to a happier, more fulfilling life.