Digitization has forever changed the face of business, affecting nearly every aspect of the work environment from communications to printing. Print technology allows users to submit print jobs from almost anywhere with the touch of a finger, but in order for the desired application to communicate with the printer, there needs to be a driver in place. Read on to learn all you need to know about printer drivers to ensure the efficiency and performance of your print equipment and enhance the productivity of your workforce.
What is a Print Driver?
A print driver is a type of computer program that facilitates the communication and transmission of documents between your computer and printer. Once a print job has been submitted, the driver translates the data to be printed into a format that the printer can understand.
The Importance of Updating Your Printer Driver
Each time you install a security patch or software update or change your operating system, the compatibility of your printer drivers may change. In order to make sure your print environment continues to run smoothly it may be necessary to update your printer driver to reflect these changes. Signs that you may need to install an update include:
- The quality of your printed documents has diminished, and they are no longer as clean and crisp as they used to be.
- You may encounter periodic or frequent issues with the connection between the computer and the printer.
- Print jobs may be lost during transmission and never arrive at the printer.
- The printer may display unexplained error codes.
Tips to Update Your Printer Drivers
Outdated printer drivers may have issues that can be easily resolved with the right updates. The installation process is relatively fast and simple, and can be made even easier with these tips:
- Find the make, model, and brand of your printer by locating the user manual or looking on the back or side of the unit.
- Visit the manufacturer’s website and locate the list of available print drivers for your printer.
- Find the applicable driver update for your printer issues, keeping in mind that the latest driver update might not be the one that will solve the problem.
- Download and install the update as directed.
- Test the printer from a variety of applications to ensure the update is successful.
Update your print drivers as needed to avoid disruption to your document workflow. Contact us to learn more!