If your company is like most, printing is a necessary part of your day. When you’re on a deadline, there’s nothing worse than printer issues. In a busy office, diagnosing and dealing with printer problems can often end up at the bottom of your to-do list.
If you find yourself experiencing any of these issues, it’s time to decide whether to repair your device or decide if it’s time for an upgrade.
Common Printer Problems
Here are five common printer problems and how to deal with them when they occur.
- Toner Lines – If you’re seeing lines on finished prints there are several potential reasons. Resolving lines can be as simple as cleaning the glass, or as complicated as a drum replacement. Start by cleaning the glass and if that doesn’t work, you’ll need to schedule a service call.
- Wrinkled Pages – Worn out paper trays, feed assemblies, rollers, or excess humidity can cause wrinkled pages. If your problem is caused by humidity or worn out paper trays it’s an easy fix. Set-up a dehumidifier, or replace the old paper trays and you should be good to go! If it’s due to worn feed rollers or a bad fuser assembly, you’ll need to schedule a service call.
- Dust – Dust clogs machines and can lead to paper jams. Professional cleaning can keep your printers dust free and operating smoothly.
- Prints are Too Light or Too Dark – Start by trying to reset the density levels. If that doesn’t work your print roller may be at the end of its life and need replacing.
- Spots – Random spots can mean that there is a problem with the drum. Replacing it should eliminate the problem.
Repair or Replacement?
So, should you repair your printer or is it time for a replacement? Consider these factors. First, how old is your device and does it offer all the features you need? Print technology is constantly evolving. Today’s devices offer features that you just won’t find in older printers, even if they’re just a couple of years older. If a new device improves productivity or lowers your cost per page, it might make sense to replace it.
If you’re not sure whether to repair or replace your printer, give us a call! Let us show you the latest print technology and explain all of your options. We’re here to help you make the right choice to meet your business needs and fit your budget.