With today’s economy, businesses are seeking ways to reduce operating expenses while also keeping productivity and efficiency high. This can be a challenging task for some business owners and managers because their days are already filled with running the business. There is very little time left to look for ways to reduce costs or increase efficiency.
Reducing operating expenses, however, can significantly contribute to your business profitability. And increased efficiency can grow sales, while also improving customer service. Business owners and managers should dedicate time to reviewing these opportunities and implement changes where possible.
Print management is one area that is often overlooked but can provide a wealth of opportunity in decreased expenses and increased productivity. Rules based printing has several key benefits:
- Lower operating expenses
- Increased longevity for printers
- Higher productivity for employees
- Better automation and quality
The steps to implementing rules based printing include:
1. Take an inventory of all printers including network, wireless, desktop and others.
2. Determine rules around color printing - when it should be used, or what individuals or departments should be permitted to print in color.
3. Set rules on two-sided printing and high quality printing – what should be the default print setting for most employees?
4. Route certain print jobs to be more convenient for employees in certain departments.
5. Note your current maintenance costs plus paper and consumables expenses and track the savings after implementing new print rules.
Your print rules can be reviewed and refined over time, but you can start by setting certain default rules and then applying exceptions when needed. With this effort your business can realize some substantial savings while also increasing department productivity.
To find out how much your business spends on print, click here for your free print assessment: